Cleaning To Improve My Business

« Back to Home

When Water Wrecks Your Basement: Why Professional Cleaning Matters

Posted on

When water sits for any amount of time in your basement, it's going to cause water damage. If you find standing water and you aren't sure how long it has been there, it's important to contact a water damage cleaning specialist to assess the situation. While you may be able to clean up some of the water, it is almost impossible to find all of the water if you aren't sure what you are doing. In addition, a water damage specialist is going to know how to safely clean up water that may be contaminated or otherwise unsafe for a homeowner to try and clean up. When you find water in your basement and you aren't sure if it's safe to try and clean it up, it's time to call for help.

Standing Water Grows Mold and Mildew

If water has been standing in your basement, it may be full of mold or mildew spores. Even moisture can cause mold and mildew growth. To ensure your safety, a professional should clean up the water for you using the right equipment. Excessive mold and mildew can cause respiratory distress, and the cleanup should be handled by a cleaner that knows what they are doing.

The Water May be Contaminated

When you aren't sure where the water came from, you can be certain that the water is not contaminated. For example, the water may be in your basement because of a problem with your main sewer line. If the water is contaminated with sewage, it won't be safe for a homeowner to clean up on their own. 

Other Hazards May be Present

If you have any active electricity in your basement, water can be very difficult to clean up without getting hurt. When you aren't sure about the electrical work in your basement and you can't tell if it is shut off completely, it is not worth risking an electrical shock to clean up the water. Allow a professional to come and make sure the situation is safe to clean up before you walk into any standing water in your basement.

When you find a flood in your basement, your first instinct may be to try and clean it up on your own. Instead of wading into any water, call a professional cleaning company. This will ensure that the mess is cleaned up correctly and you won't risk getting electrocuted.

By following these suggestions, you'll prevent mold and mildew from growing in your family's home!